Friday, September 24, 2010

Zucchini Overload

"I have something for you."
Flowers? Chocolate? A string of South Sea pearls?
Not even close.
The significant other then handed me a zucchini of extraordinary proportions.
So huge one could fatally whack someone in the head with it and destroy the evidence by eating it up.


The zucchini in a 13x9 baking pan.


Over the next week I was literally chipping away at it.
Here is how:
Zucchini cake
Incredibly moist and moderately sweet. Though I usually reduce the quantity of sugar, in this case when I make it again I'll increase it a tad. I stayed true to the recipe but baked the cake in a bundt pan and instead of the cream cheese frosting used a crunchy lemon glaze.



Zucchini pancakes
Omitted the egg, added a bit of chopped cilantro, and upped the heat level.
Served with a dollop of Greek yogurt and ketchup (or Sriracha sauce) it was a satisfying and guilt-free snack.



Zucchini skillet cake
Used shredded zucchini instead of the berries, increased the sugar by ¼ cup, and added about a cup of chocolate chips.

The rest of the zucchini was roasted along with carrots and onions and tossed with pasta.

When I first cradled that zucchini in my hands I wondered how much of it would be reduced to a neglected and slimy mess. I'm happy to say I've used up every bit of it and now I'm done with zucchini for this year.

This is my entry to Nupur's BB7:The Iron Chef Edition.


If you have any questions or comments, please write to me the.best.cooker@gmail.com.Thanks for stopping by.
 
Add to Technorati Favorites